Scotty, Marie & Parker

Scotty, Marie & Parker

April 30, 2008

Here is the story of my labor and delivery

1. I woke up with contractions at 1:30am the morning of April 21, 2008 which continued about 5-8 minutes apart until I arrived at the hospital at 7am for my scheduled induction (we actually arrived at 6:50am as you know how punctual Scotty is).
2. Our great nurse, Kristy, stuck me with an IV and got the pitocin going. She just gave me a little since I had already started labor. She also gave me an antibiotic since I was Group B Strep positive.
3. My doctor, Dr. Klomp, came in at 8:30am and checked me - I was already dilated to 4cm!
4. The contractions seemed to be getting a little worse so I asked for the epidural. I was trying to hold off as long as possible to save money (you know how I am).
5. Then the contractions got A LOT WORSE and were lasting MUCH LONGER and were A TON MORE PAINFUL and were MUCH CLOSER TOGETHER!!! This was good though because I had always wanted to have some idea of what women had to go through for thousands of years -- yet I didn't care to have the entire experience.
6. Then the epidural settled in and I was feeling GREAT!
7. By 10am I was dilated to 8cm! Kristy said my uterus was just really strong -- likely from all the exercising I had been doing my last 3 months of pregnancy. Since I was progressing so fast, she stopped the pitocin and just had me lay there and rest till 11:30am when she could give me the second dose of antibiotics for the GBS.
8. After the antibiotic had finished dripping into my veins, Dr. Klomp arrived and I just pushed my little precious son right out. He was born at 12:25pm. I had requested a mirror behind the doctor so I could watch my baby be born. It was SO AMAZING to watch the miracle of it all -- and to be able to enjoy the moment so much because of such awesome drugs!!

No comments: